Wednesday, June 27, 2007

June 27 2007 - The BPL In Gulf Shores, AL

We arrived at the beach last Saturday afternoon for the Annual BPL Golf Tourney / Family Reunion. Each year it is in a different location. This is the first year of it being in Gulf Shores, AL. We started early on Sunday morning with early tee times at the #1 rated course in AL, Kiva Dunes.

Sherb Livesay quick passed out the tournament rules to all golfers, 12 this year. Once again we couldn't roll the ball at all in the rough. It seems to get tougher and tougher each year. I had the opportunity to play with John Sampson, Sherb Livesay, and Ken Livesay on Day 1 of the tourney.

I posted a relatively decent 41 going out and parred the first 3 holes on the back before blowing up on a 135 par 3. I was excited to only have to claim a triple bogey. The next hole was a 500 yard par 5 and I blistered a drive to the left side of the fairway leaving a great angle into the green. With 225 left to the green, I pulled out my trusted 3 wood and just as I was coming down in my swing I heard a kid yell at the pool in our community just enough to lose focus pushing my 3 wood way right. I miraculously found my ball pirched high on sand. I won't go through all the gorry details but I ended up with another triple bogle. The train was certainly off track at this point. I just wanted to get into the clubhouse with something respectable.

I completed 18 and posted an 87 net 70 and stood in 3rd place after day 1. I was 2 shots back of Bill Livesay and Brad Livesay. Tomorrow was the final round and I found myself in the final group with Brad, Bill, and Bob.

We played the Pennisula Course about 8 miles from our Beach House. I went out in 41 and in in 28 for a 79. That was only the second sub 80 round of my life. The last time was the final round of the 2006 BPL in Flowery Branch, GA. That round propelled me from near last place to a respectible 2nd place finish. This year however it was enough to bring home the coveted BPL Invitational Trophy that will be on display in The Livesay Group PLLC conference room for viewing.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Honey,
What a great writer you are! We need to take a picture of the trophy and post it on here. I am glad you are doing this, my blogging buddy!
H